Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP is seeking to add a civil litigation lawyer to work on a broad range of litigation matters, including commercial, property, estate, construction, and employment litigation. The successful candidate will enjoy the benefits of practicing in a multi-disciplinary and collegial firm.
The successful candidate will possess: Excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to handle carriage of a variety of litigation files, strong attention to detail and organizational skills, the ability to work well both independently and as a member of a team, common sense, practicality, and enthusiasm for assisting clients and for the practice of law. The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of post-call experience with a reputable law firm.
If you are a motivated candidate with the required skill-set, please email your resume to the attention of Kristina Pick at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 519-579-8745.
Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP is a downtown Kitchener law firm seeking a corporate law clerk to join our growing practice on a full-time basis.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please e-mail your resume to Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP to the attention of Kristina Pick at email@example.com or fax to 519-579-8745.
- general law clerk and legal assistant duties on corporate files
- new client screening
- managing all aspects of multiple active corporate or commercial files
- triaging & responding appropriately to incoming correspondence
- requesting & managing third party records
- client communication
- diarizing deadlines electronically
- preparing legal documents (transactional agreements, corporate resolutions, correspondence, drafting and filing forms, annual minutes, memoranda, and meeting materials)
- clerical tasks (digital file organization, scanning, binding, etc.)
PREFERRED BACKGROUND, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- previous experience in a law clerk or legal assistant position at a reputable law firm an asset
- graduate of a law clerk training program preferred
- exceptional organizational skills & attention to detail
- ability to effectively prioritize and manage a large number of time-sensitive tasks
- ability to creatively problem-solve and independently determine how best to complete assigned tasks
- very strong computer skills, including experience in PC Law, Corplink, and the Microsoft Office suite of programs
- strong communication skills
- ability to contribute positively to a team environment
Why Consider Waterloo Region?
Kitchener lies at the heart of Waterloo Region, a fast-growing metropolitan area of nearly 500,000 only an hour's drive from Toronto. Home to two universities (Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier) and one college (Conestoga), top-notch cultural amenities such as the Centre in the Square and the famous annual Oktoberfest celebrating the area's German heritage, "K-W" combines the affordability, charm and lifestyle of a mid-size community with the business and career opportunity of a larger center, offering the best of both worlds.
The Student Experience
Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP offers a wide spectrum of legal experiences for students pursuing either summer or articling positions. The Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP experience includes exposure to such areas as Civil Litigation, Family Law, Wills and Estates, Small Claims Court, the Landlord and Tenant Board, and Real Estate & Corporate/Commercial transactions. Carriage over Small Claims Court and Landlord and Tenant Board files allows students the opportunity to interact with clients, firm lawyers, opposing counsel, as well as the judiciary, and to gain invaluable hands-on legal experience. Our students appear before such judicial bodies as the Ontario Human Rights Commission, Provincial Offences Court, Small Claims Court, the Landlord and Tenant Board, motions and assignment court for the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and arbitrations.
Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP’s lawyers and staff provide a co-operative and helpful working environment to foster students’ legal development. Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP views all students as not only potential future associates, but as potential future partners who can share in and contribute towards the ongoing success of the firm. Our students participate in monthly lawyers meetings to learn about the inner workings of a medium sized Southwestern Ontario firm. Your feedback is vital in the ongoing effort at Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP to continually enhance the summering/articling experience.
Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP embraces community involvement, striving to provide work-life balance for all of their employees. If you are interested in summering or articling opportunities with Giesbrecht, Griffin, Funk & Irvine LLP, please feel free to contact us.
Accommodation is available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process.